Saturday, November 19, 2011

Calem is 10 months old!



Calem did fairly well travelling several hours at a time during our
first road trip together as a family of four.   Turns out he needs a
hour break for every couple hours of driving.  He could sleep for long
stretches of time, but once he was up, wanted to nurse and needed his
diaper changed.  We stayed with different friends and out of not
wanting to have their sleep disturbed, we broke rank with Ferber and
when he woke up let him comfort nurse.  This naughty behavior has
continued since the poor little guy got a cold when we returned back
from our trip, and I didn’t want to make him even more miserable.  One
(beautiful) night he slept 6 hours in a row, which means I woke up at
5:45 panicked that I hadn’t heard from him all night. I tiptoed to his
side of the room to make sure he was still breathing.  Last night he
was up once (around 4 AM) but I think I can see the light at the end
of the tunnel.

While his sleep isn’t that great, his appetite is through the roof!
He can polish off a serving of beans/avocado/sour cream (about ½ cup)
then a cup of yo baby yogurt and several yogurt melts and cheerios.
During our trip he was introduced to pad thai noodles (which I am
afraid may have had some peanut residue, but he seems to have handled
that okay) and salmon.

Calem is always exploring and wanting to try something new.  He enjoys
playing with new objects—and is now putting just about everything in
his mouth.   He loves objects which make sound—especially his sister’s
drum.  My favorite is when he’s beating on the drum with one hand and
shaking a cup in the other.  He also enjoys being read to.

I am worried he still doesn’t get into the sitting position on his own
and doesn’t pull himself to stand either.  He will bear weight on his
legs for a few seconds.  He is willing to remain seated on the floor
for several minutes at a time.  Hopefully this will just get better
with time.  He is very verbal, making sounds of “mama and dada” but
I’m not sure he knows what they mean.  He has a beautiful smile,
especially at 7:30 AM when he is wide awake but his father and I are
half-asleep.  Turns out he’s a morning person!

Either way, he’s a sweetheart.  Looking forward to watching him grow
each and every day.