Friday, March 11, 2011

Calem at 2 months



Since February doesn't have a "31st" I almost had forgotten that Calem
had already turned 2 months old, until it was time for his doctor's
well child visit.  Poor guy was not a big fan of the vaccines.  He was
in the 40% for weight (11 lbs 4 oz) and 75% for height (23 and 3/4
inches).

This month I went back to work and Calem has been slowly adjusting.
At first he hardly slept while I was away, having grown accustomed to
sleeping in my arms.  Jason decided to try using a pacifier to extend
his brief daytime naps, but it didn't make a dramatic difference.  I
was relieved that he wasn't a big pacifier fan, fearing that we'd have
to struggle weaning him off of the pacifier.

We are slowly finding a pattern to his daytime routine.  He seems to
like to wake up early, close to 7 AM.  The
morning nap typically starts at 10:00 am and his midday nap
around 12:15 PM.  Amazingly Jason has been able to coordinate both Clara and Calem's nap time together. Calem will sleep 2-3 hours (if he's held) and be awake
for an hour or so.  He is quite talkative when he's awake and well
fed.  He enjoys cooing and stretching out.  By around 8:30 PM he is
ready for bed if he's being held, so these days my bedtime is very
early!! He wakes up around 1:30 AM to eat and again at 3:30 AM.  I am
up at midnight pumping breastmilk to keep up my milk supply (plus taking
fenugreek and blessed thistle with meals).  The only plus side of
interrupting my sleep is having time to be online since the super
early bedtime means I don't even get a chance to talk with friends
during the week.  Due to Jason being busy with Clara and my getting
home so late, we often have to wake him up to give him his bath.  I
feel terrible waking him, but I'm hoping to try to get home earlier
(by going to work earlier) so that we can bath him before bathing
Clara.  Once he's older it'll probably be easier to have them bath
together.

Weekends I catch up on lost time with him by spending every minute
with him, the challenge is making time for Clara.  I am hoping to be
better at balancing my time with them.  In the meanwhile, I am so
blessed to have two healthy children!