"Can you help me download this sound file?" my wife asked, her face illuminated by the soft glow of the computer screen. Helen appeared frustrated and I sat down in her chair to download the file.
Helen had reached full term two days prior, and was ready to deliver the baby out of fear of possible induction. She didn't want to go that route. This pregnancy had been a bumpy ride and not without complications. At 26 weeks Helen was placed on strict bed rest due to a shortened cervix. The doctors did not offer much hope for a full term delivery. We were on pins and needles during these weeks.
But here we were two days after the expected due date and Helen was beginning to investigate ways to get the baby out. We tried Coca-Cola hoping the caffeine would instigate labor. Helen also tried friend's suggestion of primrose oil tablet.
During this and her previous pregnancy Helen was practicing a self hypnosis technique for delivery called HypnoBabies. There was CD she did not have in her collection. Unfortunately it
was now too late to order the CD and wait for shipping. Behold the internet, where we purchased the sound file called "Pushing Baby OUT". This sound file didn't come without warnings. “Do not listen to file unless baby is full term or you are trying to deliver without induction,” read part of the paragraph beside the downloadable sound file on the HypnoBabies website.
That night she listened to the sound file 4 times (falling asleep while listening each time) before bed. Both of us managed to crawl into bed at 1:00 am . Fast forward a few hours. Helen's cell phone chimed, awakening me. I could make out bits of conversation my wife was having with on call person from the hospital about a particular patient. Helen was not supposed to be on call. I faded back off into sleep.
At 5:30 am , Helen comes up to the bedroom and announced. "We need to go to the hospital!" I was still groggy and responded, "Why?" Helen in disbelief responded, "Because I'm about to have your son!"
Ok, I now know that you must be thinking I was an insensitive jerk of a partner. The comment probably didn't win me any husband of the year awards. In my feeble defense, I was connecting that phone call the previous call she received that night. I wasn’t thinking too clearly. I stumbled out of bed and reached for my jeans along with a day old white T-shirt that was inside out. I started thinking about the hospital and camera bags. Did I have a fresh battery and new tape in the video camera? Do the bags have everything we need?
Helen made her way downstairs and told me we needed to call the hospital. Helen wanted to be sure the OB would be there to deliver, and told me to inquire about a birthing ball. Helen handed
her cell phone to me while I spoke to the on call person who reassured we would get a call back within 20 minutes. Meanwhile, Helen's exercise ball calmed her and eased the contractions. I even managed to draw a sketch. These are the moments that artists like to document in hopes the drawing can capture true expression and reveal emotional purity.
After about 10 minutes, Helen went back into the bathroom. Cries and uncomfortable wails soon followed. I started to get nervous, the hospital still hadn't returned the call and it had been well over 20 minutes. I asked Helen if we needed to call an ambulance. I was told the second pregnancy a woman usually delivers quickly. Thoughts of home delivery scenarios in my mind similar to some TV Sitcom began to worry me. Amazingly Clara, whose room is right next to the bathroom, slept through all of this commotion.
I called the hospital and got the same on-call person. He apologized for the lack of a call back and stated he would reach the doctor again. I stressed to Helen that we couldn't wait for the doctors confirmation call back pertaining to the labor pains and we needed to go to the hospital now. I ran outside with bags in hand, popped the trunk of black Honda, loaded the bags and ran around the front of the car to the driver side to turn on the ignition. Nothing. It was cold I thought or maybe I turned the ignition the wrong way. I pulled out and inserted the key again, and this time the car started. I pulled up driveway directly in front of the entrance door. My cell phone rang and it was the doctor. She told me to get to the hospital as soon possible.
There stood my wife in the doorway, halfway between being in and outside lit only by an outdoor incandescent porch light. The moment and scene was poetic, and the image still lingers in my mind. As a painter and photographer, the sight was memorable.
I helped my wife to the car, opened passenger side door and soon we were speeding down a traffic free University Boulevard in the emerging dawn light. I rarely speed or drive fast, but when your wife is pain and the little one is on the way it tends to give you a lead foot.
After parking, we entered the hospital and walked to the elevators to the labor and delivery department. This was the same labor and delivery department where we had been for the earlier pregnancy complications. Our entrance felt victorious as our arrival was under entirely different circumstances knowing we had overcome the initial bleak odds of ever hoping to deliver a full term baby. The waiting, the prayers and warm thoughts of friend and family, along with all the boredom Helen endured while on bed rest had paid off.
We arrived at the desk before shift change at 6:20 AM to find nurses behind the admissions desk making attempts to appear busy. I stood there waiting for someone when one of them turned to me and asked for our information. "Name?" a slight pause. “Helen Witte,” I said. "Social Security number?” questioned the nurse. “Um….,” I mumbled. "Who is your OB ?" “Uh…,” I stammered. The standard list of information gathering was excruciating slow. Meanwhile my wife standing beside me yelled, "I need to PUSH!" Suddenly with the trigger word PUSH, the nurses mobilized by getting out of their chairs and brought a wheelchair for Helen. Soon we were in the delivery room. I seemed lost in the room while attempting to stay out of nurse's way. I set my camera bag on a chair in the corner of the room and hovered around the window. The nurses began methodically setting and prepping the room before the doctor arrived.
The repetitive heartbeat of the fetal monitor could be heard and the nurses appeared to be in their proper place. The doctor arrived holding two arms in the air latex gloves on hand, surgical gown and face mask. Her eyes smiled and reflected an enthusiasm for this moment. A confident aura filled the room.
"Mrs. Witte, you're going to have lay still and listen to us" stressed one of the nurses. "Dad, I want you to be beside your wife to encourage her," said the Doctor. As the nurse team was settling Helen into position, Helen asked for her IPOD with the HypnoBabies sound files. I helped her put her ear buds in and pressed play.
I looked around the room to absorb some of the details. The expressions of each nurse, hearing spoken phrases of encouragement, the concentration of the doctor seemed to cause the whole scene to slow down. Helen was in trance like state which is unusual because she is alert and always has lots to say. However she was in a deep state of relaxation brought about by HypnoBabies. Later on after the birth the doctor commented on how calm Helen had been during the delivery.
At 6:51 Calem was born a healthy, screaming little wonder boy. The next moment I recall was cutting the umbilical cord. Helen had avoided an epidural, and delivered without being induced or having to endure a C-section. The delivery did not come without a tax, and Helen unfortunately received a 2nd degree tear. The arduous journey with this pregnancy had ended and our life with the new one began.
